Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Love Song (Part 2)

I wanted to keep the same theme as yesterday but try something a little different. I present another two examples, side by side, this time both sung by women. Many will probably recognise the first, "Call me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen; the other is Andy Moor's "She Moves" with vocals by Carrie Skipper.

CALL ME MAYBE SHE MOVES
I threw a wish in the well
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked to you as it fell
And now you're in my way

I'd trade my soul for a wish
Pennies and dimes for a kiss
I wasn't looking for this
But now you're in my way

Your stare was holdin'
Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where you think you're going, baby?
Sometimes you’re lost
You find you’re on your own
When you look and see the life that you could lead
She won’t let you down
She’ll show you how to love
And she’ll take away the world that you believed

So take those fears away
And live just for today
Open up and let your love shine through
She might never know
If you don’t ever show her
You’ve got to show her how good it feels


Jepsen's song falls into the category I mentioned yesterday of "chance/fated romance." This already turns me off because it's an oversimplification. Instead of being based on deep-rooted feelings, these songs are all about impulse. I realise a song about building a relationship might not always be interesting, and most people can make a connection to this "in the moment" feelings. But their love, like this music, is fleeting. These kinds of situations aren't about lasting feelings; they're now, they're quick, they're accessible.
The way Jepsen uses "you" is very specific, just like in "Boyfriend," and again it's catering to a listener. They want someone to hear the song and feel like they're being spoken to. "You" in the other song, however, is used in a completely different way. "You" is "me." Consider this:
  • Jepsen is singing to a guy > guy listens to the song and falls in love. Two people.
  • Skipper is singing to someone > I'm that someone > but I'm in love with someone. Two people, three voices.
This song is presented more as an inner conversation. This puts me in the song, rather than as a receiver. And I'm being asked to look deep within myself for answers. This isn't chance, I have to work for it, "you've got to show her how good it feels" because "she might never know." I'm an active participant in the song and I have a responsibility.

CALL ME MAYBE (chorus) SHE MOVES (chorus)
Hey, I just met you
And this is crazy
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?

It's hard to look right
At you baby
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?

And all the other boys
Try to chase me
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?
Don’t be shy
Cause she looks to you
And you’ll find
She moves

Don’t be shy
Cause she looks to you
And you’ll find
She’s drawn to you


"She Moves" is a song about self-confidence and believing in your love enough to make it work. "Call Me Maybe" is flippant; supposedly she's absolutely taken by this guy, but off-handedly asks him to call her...but if you don't, whatever. That's leaving a lot to chance. Carrie Skipper is much more assertive in her tone. Jepsen relies on cheap tricks to draw her catch in, saying that boys are constantly after her, and that this guy should be lucky she's interested in him and needs to make his move fast. On the other hand, it feels like Skipper is that little push to take the first step forward and own the situation. One is playing mind games, the other gets in your mind and plants an idea.

CALL ME MAYBE SHE MOVES
You took your time with the call
I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all
But still, you're in my way

I beg, and borrow and steal
Have foresight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it
But it's in my way

Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
And you should know that
I missed you so, so bad
Sometimes you’re torn
And you are broken
And it takes a lot to get back on your feet
But in your heart
She gives you that feeling
And it pushes you to where you want to be

So take those fears away
And live just for today
Open up and let your love shine through
Cause she might never know
If you don’t ever show her
You’ve got to show her how good it feels


I'm really lost with the rest of "Call me Maybe." The first part of the song is so literal that this part just sounds really hokey. The steal/real/feel rhyming triplet feels incredibly forced, especially the word "foresight." And the part about missing someone before they came into her life isn't intrinsically bad, but again it's out of place. I get the sense that whoever wrote the song wanted to create this powerful feeling in the bridge to leave the listener with a sense that this chance encounter really is magical and the only way you can describe it is with this oxymoronic lyric.
I feel very empowered by "She Moves." There is still a sense of taking a chance (you might never know/if you don't ever show her) but it feels like there's a risk involved, or that there's more to it than impulse. There is a steady encouragement throughout the song that keeps the composer-listener grounded. It's like it's not all in your head, and the singer has your back.

This is just a brief look at what lyrically interests me in a so-called "love song." "Call Me Maybe" and "Boyfriend" were both chosen because they're on the radio a lot, so they were two of the first songs that came to mind when I wanted to illustrate my point. I'm not trying to say this music is bad just because it's on the radio, or even that it's bad period. My point is to demonstrate using a small sample that these are the kinds of songs about love that show up on the radio and this is typically how pop serenades are written. The other pieces were specifically chosen to represent my interests in lyrics and are not strictly meant to be "better." The idea was to pick similar but contrasting songs that (a) represent my taste in music and (b) show there is another angle to writing love songs than how is usually presented in popular music.

1 comment:

Another Mackie said...

As a linguist, I approve of these posts! Very interesting. I hope you can do more of them.