Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quatrain

The middle section is done. For now. Edits are inevitable at this point; I know I can do something more with it, but I'm going to have to hear it live first to get a real sense for it. Unfortunately we won't have a vocalist this week, but I can still get a general idea. Midi files will never do a piece justice.

The Rondo form has definitely gone out the window. I'm now fairly set on a through-composed piece, with three contrasting sections. I have the text written and set to music for the middle section (which will be presented tomorrow sans voice), most (if not all) of the text for the opening section written, and a general idea for the third part.

I've always been uncomfortable showing incomplete sections of my work, especially when they will be as out of context as this will be tomorrow. I'm not sure how the text will be received either. Still, I need to hear what this all actually sounds like--it will give me an idea if the other thoughts I have are feasible and whether they fit in or not.

I'm still mulling over ideas for "aleatoric elements" and extended techniques. I have plans for an ad lib section in the final part. I want to be actively thinking of places to use--shall we say--"new" techniques, without going overboard, or even just for the sake of using them. If I can use them, that's great, but if they don't really work, if they don't really make sense, then I don't want them. I like to keep things streamlined.

No comments: