Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Quintet

I'm really glad I got to hear the instruments live today. While I was partly focused on playing my own part correctly, I got enough of an idea of how it's flowing. I really think the instruments work well together; there was a really rich sound. I can't wait to hear the voice on top of it. I liked how the imitation came out, and we'll be able to see more of it with the voice, too.

I need to fix the score order and label them properly. I'm still learning how to get my way around the software, so my primary concern was getting notes on paper, but it's something to keep in mind (and labelling will be important for next time so people know which voice they're following).

There's room to play around with voicing now. I need to decide soon if I will expand on this section or create other "movements" to flow into and out of it. Part of me wants to keep the piano part identical in the second half--this gives a kind of centre that the other instruments can gravitate around. On the other hand, it's worth trying out different spacings for more colour. Same goes for the other instruments.

No comments: