Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Trio

It's amazing how a piece can take on a life of its own and evolve. I went to see Dr. Ross the other day and we fixed up a few chords in my piece and discussed a possible new direction for it. He spoke truly when he said that sometimes you can't control what a piece is going to do once you've given it life.

I was so sure of my Rondo format, but it's moving farther and farther away from that idea. Already the "B section" has been extended, and I don't think I even want to repeat the A section (whatever it's going to sound like). Especially now that I've started work on the text, the piece is pulling me in a new direction with new ideas. I'm very happy to go that way, but it's strange how these things can happen. I think it might end up being through-composed--"A" might end up coming back at the end in a varied format (or through one of its themes), which might give me incentive to work hard on some good melodies.

The fast approaching deadline will also give me incentive to work hard. At first I thought I wouldn't like being under pressure to compose--but being under pressure forces me to actually bring ideas out, rather than just thinking about them and saying "ah, I'll write that down later" or "that's no good, I'll think of something else."

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

I agree with you about pressure serving as incentive to accomplish things. Obviously, we all have a point where the pressure can be too much, but, for the most part, a good, steady amount of pressure is a good thing. And feel free to drop by for ideas any time you get stuck.